Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 1, 2012

Zip!  There went April!  I'm a little shocked about that, but people warned me time would go faster the older I get.  And older I did get:  I celebrated a birthday near the beginning of the month and it was lovely. One of these days I might get around to showing you my presents:)
I had a great month doing all the domestic-y things I love to do; well balanced with all the creative things I love to do.  Perhaps another time I will show you all those too.

For today, I have been sewing.   I got the Liberty Book of Home Sewing from the library last week.  I didn't expect much out of it besides some eye-candy:  I often find books like these lacking in clear directions or practical ideas.  This one, however, surprised me.


After seeing another blogger try it out, I made the eco shopping tote.  It was quick to put together, and the pattern (which you have to draw yourself based on the grid pattern in the book) is just the right size for pinning to a pillowcase.  I used one of my vintage pillowcases for the bag, and the facing is made from yellow gingham.


If you grew up in the '70's you probably recognize the print: I had a bedspread made with the same pattern and oh-so-happy colours!
I wanted to use this as a grocery bag, but I didn't like the way the bag opened and it is a little small for that purpose.  The pillowcase fabric is also quite thin, being a cotton/poly blend, so I'm not so confident it would last that long carting bags of milk home in it.
I found some heavier cotton fabric in my stash: yards of a purple and lime daisy print thrifted a few years ago.  I added an inch to each side of the bag pattern and sewed the handles front to back instead of front to front, etc.  This made for a roomier bag that opens wider at the top and will be much better for groceries.


It doesn't sit on your shoulder as well as the other version, but for what I will be using it for it will be just fine.  Since I had so much of the fabric and the bag worked up so quickly, I made three more:


I am looking forward to using these for my groceries instead of the plastic reusable bags we have.  For starters they are prettier, but they will also take up less room in the trunk and are truly washable.

So all in all I am impressed and am going to try something else from the book.  I'm not crazy about having to draw up the patterns based on their grid illustrations, but that is much better than having to enlarge a pattern on a photocopier.

I have exciting news on the cross stitch front:  I just won six patterns from Brooke's Books Publishing!  It was a door prize from the Online Needlework Show two weeks ago.  Of all the draws that is the one I wanted to win the most.  It was hard to pick six - they are all so beautiful - but it was a task I would willingly do again! I will be eagerly checking the mailbox over the next few weeks and will show you my goodies when they arrive.

Now it's time to pick up the kids from the bus and get back into house-keeping/Mummy mode: at least until they go to bed anyway:)

Thanks for visiting,
Jenn



1 comment:

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like