Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 5, 2012

Summer vacation.   Should be nice and relaxing.  Should be.  I have been catching myself wishing it was September several times in a day lately.  I am feeling tired and slightly overwhelmed.  My mind is rushing, rushing, rushing, yet I can't seem to keep up.  I suspect a large part of this has to do with this little arrival on the last day of school:


This is Libby; our 6 year old Jack Russel mix.  We adopted her on the last day of school with relatively no planning.  Actually, no planning whatsoever.  She's lovely, and we love her to bits already.  She's so good; we can actually leave her free in the house when we step out.  She's getting more affectionate and she is pretty healthy.  However, I am finding the change in dynamic taking some getting used to.  I worry about what I need to do to keep her healthy.  I realize that any summer plans to go anywhere have now been put on hold until we can find a reliable pet-sitter.  My house is a mess.  My normal routine has been obliterated with having both kids and now a dog in the house full time.  I am craving order and  routine and accomplishment. Oh, and about one hour BY MYSELF.
 I'll get there; I just had to vent.

It hasn't all been bad.  We are having fun getting to know Libby.  She loves to go for walks and all the fresh air and exercise is good for all of us.


I wanted to share some of my Canada Day decorations.  You remember I made the red and white bunting; well here it is hung up.  I like it so much I haven't taken it down yet:



I also made a patch-work flag:


Here is my red and white centerpiece:  a little leggy but it looked festive enough:



Of course we had food:


Red and white candy popcorn

 Cherry Tarts


Gingerbread maple leaf cookies


Red and white dipped strawberries


Mini maple leaf crackers using left-over pie crust dough

We had neighbours over for a barbeque and lit some fireworks in our driveway.  It was a pretty fun day after all the preparations were done.  Libby didn't like the fireworks at all, and hid under the kitchen table.  Poor thing: she probably wondered what kind of new people she got that make so much noise!


No comments:

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like