Monday, September 9, 2013

Cosy Things



The weather took a cool turn last week, leaving no doubt that fall has come.  The kids went back to school and I have been nesting; doing all sorts of laundry and clearing out and cleaning.  At night my creative time has been spent crocheting cozy things; thick and soft yarn have been the preferred choice on my hook.

I made two more neck warmers with a lovely variegated yarn.  Funny how the colours are almost the same as the hydrangeas I picked a couple of days ago.


These are still waiting for some buttons: going through my button box to find the right ones usually takes a fair bit of time. ( Pattern can be found here.)

I also made Fiber Flux's Vanilla Bean scarf using some really soft and chunky Country Loom yarn.


 It only took two nights to work up so was a really nice project to work on.  I liked it so much I am making another in Homespun.  The scarf uses two skeins, so has been great for helping me "de-stash" a little bit.


I have done a lot of baking too.  Plum cake and jam squares, lemon loaf and muffins.  I guess I'm making up for all those times in the summer we craved something sweet but didn't want to turn the oven on.


The weekend was chilly and rainy so I put away my summer clothes and brought out the fall-winter ones.  It took me a whole day, but I tried on everything and purged quite a bit of it.  I was rather disappointed to see how much grey and black make up this wardrobe though; seeing them all hung up together makes for a sombre effect.  I think I may have to add some colour to perk things up.

Of course now that I have done that I see the forecast for the week is temperatures in the high twenties.  Cosy things will no longer be on the agenda but will be replaced with things like cleaning out the car and removing the last of the old baseboards from the living and dining rooms.  Bring back the chilly weather please!


6 comments:

Brigitte said...

You are well prepared for fall and winter already. Great scraf and neck warmers.

Mrs. Smythe said...

We took out our window air conditioning units and brought out the sweaters - and then hit 95 degrees F (35 C, I think) in Western Massachusetts this week. Suddenly it seemed too warm to work on the autumnal colored throw I was crocheting. I agree! Bring back the cooler temperatures!

Helen Philipps said...

Love your pretty neck warmers, and the scarf too, such lovely colours. The plum cake looks delicious...I have been cooking some plums this weekend too :)
Helen x

gillyflower said...

Gorgeous cosy looking yarns - such lovely colours.
Your plum cake looks delicious!
We too are expecting warmer temps in the next few days here in the UK, and I was just getting into the feel of autumn too like you!
Enjoy your day!
Gill xx

Gillian Roe said...

Sounds like you are prepared for autumn and winter! I always go crazy with nesting and cleaning in September - it must be that new school year feeling. x

Elisabeth said...

Lovely neckwarmers and the cake looks yummy! xoxo

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like